Many students and graduates often get confused with these two terms, that is CV and resume. Sometimes we may also submit resume instead of CV and vice versa. Leave all your confusions and today let us know the major difference between CV and resume. In this article you will learn what the major differences between CV and resume are? This article is about CV Vs Resume.
The first and major difference is about its length. You should know the difference between its lengths in case of CV and resume.
What is a CV?
The meaning of Curriculum Vitae is “course of life”.
The Curriculum vitae, generally know as CV is the details of a person. A CV is an account of one person education, qualification, experience, which is generally sent with job application.
Generally CVs are much longer than resumes. It includes one’s professional background or educational background.
His professional or educational background means like his degrees, awards, achievements, experience and many more.
Curriculum Vitae may be one to two pages and some times more than two pages also. It may also contain one’s skills and qualifications in detail.
What is a Resume?
Resume means summary. It is a brief summary of one’s academic or professional details. It may contain your educational and professional details. Remember it is a summary of your details. Professional details may also contain your work experience and your credentials, awards and many more.
Resume are generally contains bulleted list of information.
Both CVs and resumes are used with job applications. These are also best representation of your skills and qualifications,
Resume is generally one or two pages not more than that
Differences between a CV and a Resume:
|CVs are generally long and detailed information||Resumes are brief summary of information.
|There is no page limit for preparing CVs. One to two pages and some times more than two pages also||Resumes are single page information. Sometimes one to two pages and not more than that.|
|Represent your academic, experience, awards and achievements etc.||Represents same details like academic, experience, awards and achievements in a short description. That is in summary wise.|
|A Curriculum Vitae Contains paragraphs||A Resume Contains bulleten list or bullet points|
|The format of a CV is generally fixed||Resumes are customizable|
Points to remember while preparing a Resume
Before applying for any job or before attending to any job interview, you should keep your strong resume. A strong resume can be made by keeping some important point in mind, which are discussed as below.
- Try to make your resume as simple as possible
- Your resume should be brief of one to two pages and not more than that.
- Create your resume in simple format.
- Don’t write your unnecessary details like your age, religion and sex.
- Always use bullet points to mention your details.
- Mention your educational details in reverse chronological order. It means your recent qualification or degree and your past or lower qualifications.
- Recruiters always expect your most recent qualification, which is suitable for qualifying the job.
- In resumes mention your experience details also in reverse chronological order. If you use reverse chronological order then it presents recruiter with the most recent work experience first and remaining later.
Points to Remember Before preparing Curriculum Vitae
- Use simple and clear information in your CV
- Follow any one standard format for preparing your curriculum vitae
- Mention your contact information and personal details easy to appear
- Type your educational qualifications in reverse chronological order with your grading percentage
- If you are an experienced candidate then provide your work experience or your past employment history
- Write down your skills and talents, awards, achievements and many more
- Provide your presentations, project works and theses
- Mention your hobbies, areas of interest
- Research on job requirement and provide extra information as it necessary.
Also read our articles on